Friday, October 29, 2010

My First Book Signing Experience


Never once in my life have I attended a book signing. Shocker! As everyone knows, there is always a first for everything.

Last night, I arrived downtown by public transportation. Our destination: Barnes and Noble on Walnut Street in Philadelphia. I grew increasingly excited as my mom and I approached our destination. Upon entering, a girl with a youthful demeanor handed matching red wristbands with the letter "D" marked appropriately. What does this letter mean? Well, when the letter on the wristband was called, that group of people were allowed to form a line upstairs for the book signing. Anyway, after waiting around for two hours, my mom and I were called to the scene.

Clutching the thick, red book to my chest, the line moved faster and then we came face to face with her: Kat Von D!! Rushing over to her, she gave me a big hug, signed my book with a red sharpie marker, and took two pictures with me. Following a brief chat, she gave me another big hug and we parted ways. Although this encounter was short, I understood that the endless line continued behind me--In other words, I needed to move along!
 Regardless of the enduring pain of standing in line for hours and the rowdiness of the people waiting, I enjoyed myself. Kat is the same content person portrayed on her show " LA Ink." An all around, real, genuine, amiable person. My disappointment did not exist after meeting her for the first time!


My advice for individuals who wish to have their books officially autographed by their favorite authors: be available! Make sure that you do not have any occasion planned and free your work schedule. You WILL be waiting in line for a long while! Perhaps even bring some sort of activity to work on while you wait? How about a nice crossword puzzle? As I stated before, if this truly is an individual that you admire, the wait will be worth your time. (:

~Lovely Iris

No comments:

Post a Comment